|Overview - Jeremiah 50|
|1||The judgment of Babylon and the redemption of Israel.|
Jeremiah 50:2 (King James Version)
Declare ye among the nations, and publish, and set up a standard; publish, and conceal not: say, Babylon is taken, Bel is confounded, Merodach is broken in pieces; her idols are confounded, her images are broken in pieces.
- 6:18 31:10 46:14 Psalms 64:9 ; 96:3 Isaiah 12:4 ; 48:6 Isaiah 66:18 Isaiah 66:19
- Revelation 14:6-8
- set up
- Hebrew lift up.
- Isaiah 13:2
- 51:8 Isaiah 21:9 ; Revelation 14:8 ; 18:2
- 51:44 Isaiah 46:1
- 52:31 Isaiah 39:1
- her idols
- 46 ; Jeremiah 43:12 Jeremiah 43:13 Isaiah 37:19 ; Zephaniah 2:11
- Xerxes, after his return from his unsuccessful expedition into Greece, partly out of religious zeal, being a professed enemy to image worship, and partly to reimburse himself after his immense expenses, seized the sacred treasures, and plundered or destroyed the temples and idols of Babylon, thereby accomplishing the prophecies of Isaiah and Jeremiah. ( Isaiah 21:9 ; 46:1
- Jeremiah 50:2 ; 51:44 47, ; 52.) What God declares, "I
- will punish Bel in Babylon, and I will bring forth that which he has swallowed," was also literally fulfilled, when the vessels of the house of God, which Nebuchadnezzar had brought from Jerusalem and placed in the temple of Bel, Daniel 1:2 ,were restored by order of Cyrus, Ezra 1:7 ,and again carried to Jerusalem Bp. Newton, Dis. X.