Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
|Overview - Joel 2|
| 1 ||He shews unto Zion the terribleness of God's judgment. |
|12 ||He exhorts to repentance; |
|15 ||prescribes a fast; |
|18 ||promises a blessing thereon. |
|21 ||He comforts Zion with present, |
|28 ||and future blessings. |
Joel 2:2 (King James Version)
A day of darkness and of gloominess, a day of clouds and of thick darkness, as the morning spread upon the mountains: a great people and a strong; there hath not been ever the like, neither shall be any more after it, even to the years of many generations.
- A day of darkness
- "The quantity of these insects," says a French author,"is incredible to all who have not themselves witnessed their astonishing numbers; the whole earth is covered with them for the space of several leagues. The noise they make in browsing on the trees and herbage may be heard at a great distance, and resembles that of an army in secret. Wherever their myriads spread, the verdure of the country disappears; trees and plants, stripped of their leaves and reduced to their naked boughs and stems, cause the dreary image of winter to succeed in an instant to the rich scenery of spring. When these clouds of locusts take their flight, to surmount any obstacles or to traverse more rapidly a desert soil, the heavens may literally be said to be obscured by them."
- Joel 2:10 Joel 2:31 ; Joel 3:14 Joel 3:15 Exodus 20:21 ; Psalms 97:2 ; Isaiah 5:30 ; 8:22 Jeremiah 13:16
- Amos 5:18-20 ; Zephaniah 1:14 Zephaniah 1:15 ; Hebrews 12:18 ; Jude 1:13
- Amos 4:13
- a great
- Joel 2:5 Joel 2:11 Joel 2:25 ; 1:6
- Joel 1:2 Joel 1:3 Exodus 10:6 Exodus 10:14 ; Daniel 12:1 ; Mark 13:19
- many generations
- Hebrew generation and generation.
- Deuteronomy 32:7 ; Psalms 10:6 ; *margins