|Overview - Numbers 31|
|1||The Midianites are spoiled, and Balaam slain.|
|13||Moses is wroth with the officers, for saving the women alive.|
|19||How the soldiers, with their captives and spoil, are to be purified.|
|25||The proportion in which the prey is to be divided.|
|48||The voluntary oblation unto the treasury of the Lord.|
Numbers 31:32 (King James Version)
And the booty, being the rest of the prey which the men of war had caught, was six hundred thousand and seventy thousand and five thousand sheep,
- the booty
- It appears from the enumeration here, that the Israelites, in this war with the Midianites, took Numbers 31:32 Numbers 31:000 ; female prisoners, Numbers 31:61 Numbers 31:000 ; asses, Numbers 31:72 Numbers 31:000 ; beeves, and Numbers 31:675 Numbers 31:000 ; sheep and small
- cattle; besides the immense number of males who fell in battle, and the women and children who were slain by the divine command (ver. 17.) This booty was divided into equal parts, by which partition a far larger share was justly given to the warriors employed on the expedition, who were only Numbers 31:12 Numbers 31:000 ; than to those, who being equally willing to go, were
- ordered to stay in the camp. Each party was to give a certain proportion to Jehovah, as their sovereign, in grateful acknowledgement that to him they owed their success. The soldiers to give to the Lord one out of every five hundred persons, beeves, asses, and sheep, (ver. 28,) and the people, who by staying at home risked nothing, and had no fatigue, were to give one out of fifty of each of the above to the Levites, who were far more numerous than the priests (ver. 30.) The booty, its division among the soldiers and people,
- and the proportion given by each to the Lord and to the Levites, will be seen at one view by the following table:-- It does not appear that a single ox, sheep, or ass, was required by Moses as his portion; or that there was any given to him by the people; and though he had a family as well as others, yet no provision was made for them above the common lot of Levites!
- There are no entries for this verse!