Adaiah [N] [H]
(adorned by Jehovah ).
- Maternal grandfather of King Josiah, and native of Boscath in the lowlands of Judah. ( 2 Kings 22:1 ) (B.C. 648.)
- A Levite of the Gershonite branch, and ancestor of Asaph. ( 1 Chronicles 6:41 ) In v. ( 1 Chronicles 6:21 ) Heb Isa called IDDO.
- A Benjamite, son of Shimhi, ( 1 Chronicles 8:21 ) who is apparently the same as Shema in v. ( 1 Chronicles 8:13 )
- A priest, son of Jehoram. ( 1 Chronicles 9:12 ; Nehemiah 11:12 )
- Ancestor of Maaseiah, one of the captains who supported Jehoiada. ( 2 Chronicles 23:1 )
- One of the descendants of Bani, who had married a foreign wife after the return from Babylon. ( Ezra 10:29 ) (B.C. 459).
- The descendant of another Bani, who had also taken a foreign wife. ( Ezra 10:39 )
- A man of Judah, of the line of Pharez. ( Nehemiah 11:5 )
[N] indicates this entry was also found in Nave's Topical Bible
[H] indicates this entry was also found in Hitchcock's Bible Names
Bibliography InformationSmith, William, Dr. "Entry for 'Adaiah'". "Smith's Bible Dictionary". . 1901.