Try out the new BibleStudyTools.com. Click here!

Beersheba

Beersheba [H]

well of the oath, or well of seven, a well dug by Abraham, and so named because he and Abimelech here entered into a compact ( Genesis 21:31 ). On re-opening it, Isaac gave it the same name ( Genesis 26:31-33 ). It was a favourite place of abode of both of these patriarchs ( Genesis 21:33-22:1 Genesis 21:19 ; 26:33 ; 28:10 ). It is mentioned among the "cities" given to the tribe of Simeon ( Joshua 19:2 ; 1 Chronicles 4:28 ). From Dan to Beersheba, a distance of about 144 miles ( Judges 20:1 ; 1 Chronicles 21:2 ; 2 Sam 24:2 ), became the usual way of designating the whole Promised Land, and passed into a proverb. After the return from the Captivity the phrase is narrowed into "from Beersheba unto the valley of Hinnom" ( Nehemiah 11:30 ). The kingdom of the ten tribes extended from Beersheba to Mount Ephraim ( 2 Chronicles 19:4 ). The name is not found in the New Testament. It is still called by the Arabs Bir es-Seba, i.e., "well of the seven", where there are to the present day two principal wells and five smaller ones. It is nearly midway between the southern end of the Dead Sea and the Mediterranean.

These dictionary topics are from
M.G. Easton M.A., D.D., Illustrated Bible Dictionary, Third Edition,
published by Thomas Nelson, 1897. Public Domain, copy freely.

[H] indicates this entry was also found in Hitchcock's Bible Names

Bibliography Information

Easton, Matthew George. "Entry for Beersheba". "Easton's Bible Dictionary". .

Beersheba [E]

the well of an oath; the seventh well
Hitchcock's Dictionary of Bible Names. Public Domain. Copy freely.
[E] indicates this entry was also found in Easton's Bible Dictionary

Bibliography Information

Hitchcock, Roswell D. "Entry for 'Beersheba'". "An Interpreting Dictionary of Scripture Proper Names". . New York, N.Y., 1869.

BEERSHEBA

be-er-she'-ba (be'er shebha`; Bersabee):

Allotted originally to Simeon (Joshua 19:2), one of "the uttermost cities of the tribe of the children of Judah" (Joshua 15:28).

1. The Meaning of the Name:

The most probable meaning of Beersheba is the "well of seven." "Seven wells" is improbable on etymological grounds; the numeral should in that case be first. In Genesis 21:31 Abraham and Abimelech took an oath of witness that the former had dug the well and seven ewe lambs were offered in sacrifice, "Wherefore he called that place Beer-sheba; because there they sware both of them." Here the name is ascribed to the Hebrew root shabha`, "to swear," but this same root is connected with the idea of seven, seven victims being offered and to take an oath, meaning "to come under the influence of seven."

Another account is given (Genesis 26:23-33), where Isaac takes an oath and just afterward, "the same day Isaac's servants came, and told him concerning the well which they had digged (dug), and said unto him, We have found water. And he called it Shibah:

therefore the name of the city is Beer-sheba unto this day."

2. A Sacred Shrine:

Beersheba was a sacred shrine. "Abraham planted a tamarisk tree in Beer-sheba, and called there on the name of Yahweh, the Everlasting God" Ge (Genesis 21:33). Theophanies occurred there to Hagar (Genesis 21:17), to Isaac (\Ge 26:24\), to Jacob (Genesis 46:2), and to Elijah (1 Kings 19:5). By Amos (Amos 5:5) it is classed with Bethel and Gilgal as one of the rival shrines to the pure worship of Yahweh, and in another place (Amos 8:14) he writes "They shall fall, and never rise up again," who sware, "As the way (i.e. cult) of Beersheba liveth." The two unworthy sons of Samuel were Judges in Beersheba (1 Samuel 8:2) and Zibiah, mother of King Jehoash, was born there (2 Kings 12:1; 2 Chronicles 24:1).

3. Its Position:

Geographically Beersheba marked the southern limit of Judah, though theoretically this extended to the "river of Egypt" (Genesis 15:18)--the modern Wady el`Avish--60 miles farther south. It was the extreme border of the cultivated land. From Da to Beersheba (2 Samuel 17:11, etc.) or from Beersheba to Da (1 Chronicles 21:2; 2 Chronicles 30:5) were the proverbial expressions, though necessarily altered through the changed conditions in later years to "from Geba to Beer-sheba" (2 Kings 23:8) or "from Beer-sheba to the hill-country of Ephraim" (2 Chronicles 19:4).

4. Modern Beersheba:

Today Beersheba is Bir es-Seba` in the Wady es Seba`, 28 miles Southwest of Hebron on "the southern border of a vast rolling plain broken by the torrent beds of Wady Khalil and Wady Seba" (Robinson). The plain is treeless but is covered by verdure in the spring; it is dry and monotonous most of the year. Within the last few years this long-deserted spot--a wide stretch of shapeless ruins, the haunt of the lawless Bedouin--has been re-occupied; the Turks have stationed there an enlightened Kaimerkhan (subgovernor); government offices and shops have been built; wells have been cleared, and there is now an abundant water supply pumped even to the separate houses. Robinson (BW, XVII, 247) has described how he found seven ancient wells there--probably still more will yet be found. The whole neighborhood is strewn with the ruins of the Byzantine city which once flourished there; it was an episcopal see. It is probable that the city of Old Testament times stood where Tell es Seba' now is, some 2 1/2 miles to the East; from the summit a commanding view can be obtained (PEF, III, 394, Sheet XXIV).

E. W. G. Masterman


Copyright Statement
These files are public domain.

Bibliography Information
Orr, James, M.A., D.D. General Editor. "Entry for 'BEERSHEBA'". "International Standard Bible Encyclopedia". 1915.