Bethzur

Bethzur [S]

house of rock, a town in the mountains of Judah ( Joshua 15:58 ), about 4 miles to the north of Hebron. It was built by Rehoboam for the defence of his kingdom ( 2 Chronicles 11:7 ). It stood near the modern ed-Dirweh. Its ruins are still seen on a hill which bears the name of Beit-Sur, and which commands the road from Beer-sheba and Hebron to Jerusalem from the south.

These dictionary topics are from
M.G. Easton M.A., D.D., Illustrated Bible Dictionary, Third Edition,
published by Thomas Nelson, 1897. Public Domain, copy freely.

[S] indicates this entry was also found in Smith's Bible Dictionary

Bibliography Information

Easton, Matthew George. "Entry for Bethzur". "Easton's Bible Dictionary". .

Bethzur [E]

(house of rock ) a town in the mountains of Judah, built by Jeroboam, ( Joshua 15:58 ; 2 Chronicles 11:7 ) now Beit-zur . It commands the road from Beersheba and Hebron, which has always been the main approach to Jerusalem from the south. [E] indicates this entry was also found in Easton's Bible Dictionary


Bibliography Information

Smith, William, Dr. "Entry for 'Bethzur'". "Smith's Bible Dictionary". . 1901.