Try out the new BibleStudyTools.com. Click here!

Succoth

Succoth [N] [H] [S]

booths.

  • The first encampment of the Israelites after leaving Ramesses ( Exodus 12:37 ); the civil name of Pithom (q.v.).

  • A city on the east of Jordan, identified with Tell Dar'ala, a high mound, a mass of debris, in the plain north of Jabbok and about one mile from it ( Joshua 13:27 ). Here Jacob ( Genesis 32:17 Genesis 32:30 ; 33:17 ), on his return from Padan-aram after his interview with Esau, built a house for himself and made booths for his cattle. The princes of this city churlishly refused to afford help to Gideon and his 300 men when "faint yet pursuing" they followed one of the bands of the fugitive Midianites after the great victory at Gilboa. After overtaking and routing this band at Karkor, Gideon on his return visited the rulers of the city with severe punishment. "He took the elders of the city, and thorns of the wilderness and briers, and with them he taught the men of Succoth" ( Judges 8:13-16 ). At this place were erected the foundries for casting the metal-work for the temple ( 1 Kings 7:46 ).

    These dictionary topics are from
    M.G. Easton M.A., D.D., Illustrated Bible Dictionary, Third Edition,
    published by Thomas Nelson, 1897. Public Domain, copy freely.

    [N] indicates this entry was also found in Nave's Topical Bible
    [H] indicates this entry was also found in Hitchcock's Bible Names
    [S] indicates this entry was also found in Smith's Bible Dictionary

    Bibliography Information

    Easton, Matthew George. "Entry for Succoth". "Easton's Bible Dictionary". .

  • Succoth [N] [E] [S]

    tents; tabernacles
    Hitchcock's Dictionary of Bible Names. Public Domain. Copy freely.

    [N] indicates this entry was also found in Nave's Topical Bible
    [E] indicates this entry was also found in Easton's Bible Dictionary
    [S] indicates this entry was also found in Smith's Bible Dictionary

    Bibliography Information

    Hitchcock, Roswell D. "Entry for 'Succoth'". "An Interpreting Dictionary of Scripture Proper Names". . New York, N.Y., 1869.

    Succoth [N] [E] [H]

    (booths ).

    1. An ancient town, first heard of in the account of the homeward journey of Jacob from Padan-aram. ( Genesis 35:17 ) The name is derived from the fact of Jacobs having there put up "booths" (succoth ) for his cattle as well as a house for himself. From the itinerary of Jacobs return it seems that Succoth lay between Peniel, near the ford of the torrent Jabbok and Shechem. Comp. ( Genesis 32:30 ) and Genesis33:18 In accordance with this is the mention of Succoth in the narrative of Gideons pursuit of Zebah and Zalluunna. ( Judges 5:5-17 ) It would appear from this passage that it lay east of the Jordan, which is corroborated by the fact that it was allotted to the tribe of Gad. ( Joshua 13:27 ) Succoth is named once again after this --in ( 1 Kings 7:46 ; 2 Chronicles 4:17 ) --as marking the spot at which the brass founderies were placed for casting the metal work of the temple. (Dr. Merrill identifies it with a site called Tell Darala , one mile north of the Jabbok. --ED.)
    2. The first camping-place of the Israelites when they left Egypt. ( Exodus 12:37 ; 13:20 ; Numbers 33:5 Numbers 33:6 ) This place was apparently reached at the close of the first days march. Rameses, the starting-place, was probably near the western end of the Wadi-t-Tumeylat . The distance traversed in each days journey was about fifteen miles.

    [N] indicates this entry was also found in Nave's Topical Bible
    [E] indicates this entry was also found in Easton's Bible Dictionary
    [H] indicates this entry was also found in Hitchcock's Bible Names

    Bibliography Information

    Smith, William, Dr. "Entry for 'Succoth'". "Smith's Bible Dictionary". . 1901.

    SUCCOTH (1)

    suk'-oth, suk'-oth (cukkoth, "booths"; Skenai, Sokchoth, etc.):

    After parting with Esau, Jacob journeyed to Succoth, a name which he gave to the place from the "booths" which he erected to shelter his cattle (Genesis 33:17). It was in the territory of Gad, and is mentioned with Beth-nimrah (Joshua 13:27). In his pursuit of Zeba and Zalmunnah, Gideon seems to have retraced the path followed by Jacob, passing Succoth before Penuel (Judges 8:5). Their churlishness on that occasion brought dire punishment upon the men of Succoth. Gideon on his return "taught them" with thorns and briers (Judges 8:16). In the soil of the valley between Succoth and Zarethan, which was suitable for the purpose, the brass castings of the furniture for Solomon's Temple were made (1 Kings 7:46; 2 Chronicles 4:17). Jerome (on Genesis 33:17) says that in his day it was a city beyond Jordan in the district of Scythopolis. From the above data it is clear that Succoth lay on the East of the Jordan and North of the Jabbok. From Psalms 60:6; 108:7, we may infer that it was close to the Jordan valley, part of which was apparently known by its name. Neubauer (Geog. du Talmud, 248) gives the Talmudic name as Tar`ala. Merrill (East of the Jordan, 386) and others compare this with Tell Deir `Alla, the name of an artificial mound about a mile North of the Jabbok, on the edge of the valley, fully 4 miles East of the Jordan. There is a place called Sakut West of the Jordan, about 10 miles South of Beisan. This has been proposed by some; but it is evident that Succoth lay East of the river. No trace of the name has been found here.

    W. Ewing


    Copyright Statement
    These files are public domain.

    Bibliography Information
    Orr, James, M.A., D.D. General Editor. "Entry for 'SUCCOTH (1)'". "International Standard Bible Encyclopedia". 1915.  

    SUCCOTH (2)

    (cukkoth; Sokchoth (Exodus 12:37; 13:20; Numbers 33:5)):

    The first station of the Hebrews on leaving Rameses (see EXODUS). The word means "booths." The distance from ETHAM (which see) suggests that the site may have lain in the lower part of Wady Tumeilat, but the exact position is unknown. This region seems possibly to have been called T-K-u by the Egyptians (see PITHOM). Brugsch and other scholars suppose this term to have been changed to Succoth by the Old Testament writer, but this is very doubtful, Succoth being a common Hebrew word, while T-K-u is Egyptian The Hebrew "c" does not appear ever to be rendered by "t" in Egyptian. The capital of the Sethroitic nome was called T-K-t (Pierret, Vocab. hieroglyph., 697), and this word means "bread." If the region of T-K-u was near this town, it would seem to have lain on the shore road from Edom to Zoan, in which case it could not be the Succoth of the Exodus.

    C. R. Conder


    Copyright Statement
    These files are public domain.

    Bibliography Information
    Orr, James, M.A., D.D. General Editor. "Entry for 'SUCCOTH (2)'". "International Standard Bible Encyclopedia". 1915.