Proverbs 10:1-32 . Here begins the second part of the book, Proverbs 10:1-22:16', which, with the third, Proverbs 22:16-25:28', contains series of proverbs whose sense is complete in one or two verses, and which, having no logical connection, admit of no analysis. The parallelisms of Proverbs 10:1-15:33' are mostly antithetic; and those of Proverbs 16:1-22:16', synthetic. The evidences of art in the structure are very clear, and indicate, probably, a purpose of facilitating the labor of memorizing.
1. wise [and] foolish--as they follow or reject the precepts of wisdom.
maketh . . . father--or, "gladdens a father."
2. Treasures . . . nothing--that is, Ill-gotten gains give no true happiness (compare Proverbs 4:17 , Matthew 6:19 ).
righteousness--especially beneficence ( Psalms 112:9 ).
death--the greatest of all evils.
3. (Compare Psalms 37:16-20 ). The last clause is better: "He will repel the greedy desires of the wicked."
6. Blessings--literally, "Praises." The last clause is better: "The mouth of the wicked covereth (or concealeth) violence (or mischievous devices)" to be executed in due time ( Psalms 5:9 , 10:7 , Romans 3:14 ), and hence has no praises (compare Proverbs 10:11 ).
7. blessed--literally, "for a blessing," or praise.
shall rot--literally, "be worm-eaten," useless and disgusting.
9. perverteth his ways--acts deceitfully.
known--discovered and punished.
12. strifes--or, "litigations."
covereth--by forgiveness and forbearance.
14. lay up knowledge--that is, as treasures for good use.
mouth . . . destruction--or, "as to the mouth," &c., destruction is near; they expose themselves to evil by prating.
16. The industry of the righteous is alone truly successful, while the earnings of the wicked tempt and lead to sin.
18. Both vices must one day be known and punished, and hence their folly.
20. Right speech is the fruit of a good heart, but the wicked show theirs to be useless.
23. Sin is the pleasure of the wicked; wisdom that of the good.
24. it--the very thing. The wicked get dreaded evil; the righteous, desired good.
26. that is, causes vexation.
28. gladness--in confidence of realizing it.
expectation . . . perish--in disappointment.
29. The way, &c.--that is, God's providence sustains the righteous and overthrows the wicked ( Hosea 14:9 ).
32. know--regard and provide for ( Psalms 1:6 ).
frowardness--all kinds of deceit and ill-nature. The word is plural.