11:1 I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.
11:5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.
That Israel has not been forever set aside is the theme of this chapter.
(1) The salvation of Paul proves that there is still a remnant ( Romans 11:1 )
(2) The doctrine of the remnant proves it ( Romans 11:2-6 ).
(3) The present national unbelief was foreseen ( Romans 11:7-10 ).
(4) Israel's unbelief is the Gentile opportunity ( Romans 11:11-25 ).
(5) Israel is judicially broken off from the good olive tree, Christ ( Romans 11:17-22 ).
(7) The promised Deliverer will come out of Zion and the nation will be saved ( Romans 11:25-29 ). That the Christian now inherits the distinctive Jewish promises is not taught in Scripture. The Christian is of the heavenly seed of Abraham ; Genesis 15:5 Genesis 15:6 ; Galatians 3:29 and partakes of the spiritual blessings of the Abrahamic Covenant.
(See Scofield "Genesis 15:18") but Israel as a nation always has it own place, and is yet to have its greatest exaltation as the earthly people of God. See "Israel" Genesis 12:2 ; Romans 11:26 "Kingdom" ; Genesis 1:26-28 ; Zechariah 12:8 .
For Another Point of View: See Topic 301242
11:8 (According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear;) unto this day.
Remnant, Summary: In the history of Israel, a "remnant" may be discerned, a spiritual Israel within the national Israel. In Elijah's time 7,000 had not bowed the knee to Baal 1 Kings 19:18 . In Isaiah's time it was the "very small remnant" for whose sake God still forbore to destroy the nation Isaiah 1:9 . During the captivities the remnant appears in Jews like Ezekiel, Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, Esther, and Mordecai. At the end of the 70 years of Babylonian captivity it was the remnant which returned under Ezra and Nehemiah. At the advent of our Lord, John the Baptist, Simeon, Anna, and "them that looked for redemption in Jerusalem" Luke 2:38 were the remnant. During the church-age the remnant is composed of believing Jews Romans 11:4 Romans 11:5 . But the chief interest in the remnant is prophetic. During the great tribulation a remnant out of all Israel will turn to Jesus as Messiah, and will become His witnesses after the removal of the church Revelation 7:3-8 . Some of these will undergo martyrdom Revelation 6:9-11 some will be spared to enter the millennial kingdom Zechariah 12:6-13:9 . Many of the Psalms express, prophetically, the joys and sorrows of the tribulation remnant.
remnant Remnant. See, Isaiah 1:9 .
11:12 Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness?
Jehovah. Isaiah 29:10 .
11:14 If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them.
kosmos = mankind. (See Scofield "Matthew 4:8")
11:15 For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead?
(See Scofield "Romans 1:16") .
11:23 And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again.
world kosmos = mankind.
(See Scofield "Matthew 4:8") .
11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.
11:26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:
The "fullness of the Gentiles" is the completion of the purpose of God in this age, viz. the outcalling from among the Gentiles of a people for Christ's name, "the church which is His body" Ephesians 1:22 Ephesians 1:23 Cf ; Acts 15:14 ; Ephesians 4:11-13 ; 1 Corinthians 12:12 1 Corinthians 12:13 . It must be distinguished from "the times of the Gentiles" Luke 21:24 .
mystery See note,
(See Scofield "Matthew 13:11") .
11:27 For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.
Summary: Israel, so named from the grandson of Abraham, was chosen for a fourfold mission:
(4) to produce, as to His humanity, the Messiah Genesis 3:15 ; 12:3 ; 22:18 ; 28:10-14 ; 49:10 ; 2 Samuel 7:12-16 ; Isaiah 7:14 ; 9:6 ; Matthew 1:1 ; Romans 1:3 . According to the prophets, Israel, regathered from all nations, restored to her own land and converted, is yet to have her greatest earthly exaltation and glory. See "Kingdom (O.T.)" ; Genesis 1:26 ; Zechariah 12:8 .
"Davidic Covenant" (See Scofield "2 Samuel 7:16") .
For Another Point of View: See Topic 301242
Sin. (See Scofield "Romans 3:23")