|Overview - Nehemiah 5|
|1||The Jews complain of their debt, mortgage, and bondage.|
|6||Nehemiah rebukes the usurers, and causes them to make a covenant of restitution.|
|14||He forbears his own allowance, and keeps hospitality.|
Nehemiah 5:13 (King James Version)
Also I shook my lap, and said, So God shake out every man from his house, and from his labour, that performeth not this promise, even thus be he shaken out, and emptied. And all the congregation said, Amen, and praised the LORD. And the people did according to this promise.
- I shook my lap
- So "when the Roman ambassadors entered the senate of Carthage, they had their toga gathered up in their bosom, and said, We carry here peace and war; you may have which you will. The senate answered, You may give which you please. They then shook their toga, and said, We bring you war
- Matthew 10:14 ; Acts 13:51 ; 18:6
- So God
- 1 Samuel 15:28 ; 1 Kings 11:29-31 ; Zechariah 5:3 Zechariah 5:4
- Hebrew empty, or void. Amen.
- Numbers 5:22 ; Deuteronomy 27:14-26
- 1 Chronicles 16:36
- the people
- 2 Kings 23:3 ; Psalms 50:14 ; 76:11 119:106 Ecclesiastes 5:5