Ahiah, or Ahijah
(friend of Jehovah ).
- Son of Ahitub, grandson of Phinehas and great-grandson of Eli, succeeded his father as high priest in the reign of Saul. ( 1 Samuel 14:3 1 Samuel 14:18 ) Ahiah is probably the same person as Ahimelech the son of Ahitub. (B.C. 980.)
- One of Solomons princes. ( 1 Kings 4:3 )
- A prophet of Shiloh, ( 1 Kings 14:2 ) hence called the Shilonite, ( 1 Kings 11:29 ) of whom we have two remarkable prophecies extant, the one in ( 1 Kings 11:30-39 ) addressed to Jeroboam, announcing the rending of the ten tribes from Solomon; the other in ( 1 Kings 14:6-16 ) in which he foretold the death of Abijah, the kings son, who was sick, and the destruction of Jeroboams house on account of the images which he had set up. ( 1 Kings 14:2 1 Kings 14:3 ) (B.C. about 956.)
- Father of Baasha king of Israel. ( 1 Kings 15:27 1 Kings 15:33 )
- Son of Jerahmeel. ( 1 Chronicles 2:25 )
- Son of Bela. ( 1 Chronicles 8:7 )
- One of Davids mighty men. ( 1 Chronicles 11:36 )
- A Levite in Davids reign. ( 1 Chronicles 26:20 )
- One of the "heads of the people" who joined in the covenant with Nehemiah. ( Nehemiah 10:26 )
Bibliography InformationSmith, William, Dr. "Entry for 'Ahiah, or Ahijah'". "Smith's Bible Dictionary". . 1901.