Je-iel [N] [E]
(treasured of God ).
- A Reubenite of the house of Joel. ( 1 Chronicles 5:7 )
- A Merarite Levite, one of the gate-keepers to the sacred tent. ( 1 Chronicles 15:18 ) His duty was also to play the harp, ver. ( 1 Chronicles 15:21 ) or the psaltery and harp, ( 1 Chronicles 16:5 ) in the service before the ark. (B.C. 1043.)
- A Gershonite Levite, one of the Bene-Asaph, forefather of Jahaziel in the time of King Jehoshaphat. ( 2 Chronicles 20:14 ) (B.C. 910.)
- The scribe who kept the account of the numbers of King Uzziahs irregular predatory warriors. ( 2 Chronicles 26:11 ) (B.C. 803.)
- A Gershonite Levite, one of the Bene-Elizaphan. ( 2 Chronicles 29:13 )
- One of the chiefs of the Levites in the time of Josiah. ( 2 Chronicles 35:9 ) (B.C. 623.)
- One of the Bene-Adonikam who formed part of the caravan of Ezra from Babylon to Jerusalem. ( Ezra 8:13 ) (B.C. 459.)
- A layman of the Bene-Nebo, who had taken a foreign wife and had to relinquish her. ( Ezra 10:43 ) (B.C. 459.)
[N] indicates this entry was also found in Nave's Topical Bible
[E] indicates this entry was also found in Easton's Bible Dictionary
Bibliography InformationSmith, William, Dr. "Entry for 'Jeiel'". "Smith's Bible Dictionary". . 1901.