(the two cities ).
- On the east of the Jordan, one of the places which were taken possession of and rebuilt by the Reubenites, and had fresh names conferred on them, ( Numbers 32:37 ) and see ( Numbers 32:38 ) the first and last of which are known with some tolerable degree of certainty. ( Joshua 12:19 ) It existed in the time of Jeremiah, ( Jeremiah 48:1 Jeremiah 48:23 ) and Ezekiel. ( Ezekiel 25:9 ) In the three passages named the Authorized Version gives the name KIRIATHAIM. By Eusebius it appears to have been well known. He describes it as a village entirely of Christians, ten miles west of Medeba, "close to the Baris."
- A town in Naphtali not mentioned in the original list of the possession allotted to the tribe, see ( Joshua 19:32-39 ) but inserted in the list of cities given to the Gershonite Levites in ( 1 Chronicles 6:76 ) in place of KARTAN in the parallel catalogue, Kartan being probably only a contraction thereof.
Bibliography InformationSmith, William, Dr. "Entry for 'Jirjathaim'". "Smith's Bible Dictionary". . 1901.