The firstborn of man and beast was by Divine requirement given to the Lord ( Exodus 13:2 ). In addition to this the Hebrews were required to give,
- one-tenth of the products of their land ( Leviticus 27:30 );
- one-tenth of the increase of flocks and herds ( Leviticus 37:32-34 );
- a special tithe every third year ( Deuteronomy 14:28 Deuteronomy 14:29 );
- to the poor at all times ( Deuteronomy 15:7-11 );
- according to their ability when they attended their annual feasts ( Deuteronomy 16:16 Deuteronomy 16:17 );
- the first fruits of the land ( Exodus 22:29 ; Deuteronomy 26:1-11 ).