Psalms 15:1-5 . Those who are fit for communion with God may be known by a conformity to His law, which is illustrated in various important particulars.
1. abide--or, "sojourn" (compare Psalms 5:4 ), where it means under God's protection here, as ( Psalms 23:6 , Psalms 27:4 Psalms 27:6 ) communion.
tabernacle--seat of the ark ( 2 Samuel 6:17 ), the symbol of God's presence.
holy hill--(Compare Psalms 2:6 ).
2. walketh--(Compare Psalms 1:1 ).
uprightly--in a complete manner, as to all parts of conduct ( Genesis 17:1 ), not as to degree.
righteousness--what is right.
in his heart--sincerely ( Proverbs 23:7 ).
3. He neither slanders nor spreads slander.
4. Love and hate are regulated by a regard to God.
sweareth . . . hurt--or what so results (compare Leviticus 5:4 ).
5. (Compare Leviticus 25:37 , Deuteronomy 23:19 Deuteronomy 23:20 ).
usury is derived from a verb meaning "to bite." All gains made by the wrongful loss of others are forbidden.
taketh reward, &c.--The innocent would not otherwise be condemned (compare Exodus 23:8 , Deuteronomy 16:19 ). Bribery of all sorts is denounced.
doeth these, &c.--Such persons admitted to God's presence and favor shall never be moved ( Psalms 10:6 , 13:5 ).