Psalms 34:1-22 . On the title compare 1 Samuel 21:13 . Abimelech was the general name of the sovereign ( Genesis 20:2 ). After celebrating God's gracious dealings with him, the Psalmist exhorts others to make trial of His providential care, instructing them how to secure it. He then contrasts God's care of His people and His punitive providence towards the wicked.
3. magnify the Lord--ascribe greatness to Him, an act of praise.
together--"alike" ( Psalms 33:15 ), or, equally, without exception.
4. delivered . . . fears--as well as actual evil ( Psalms 64:1 ).
5-7. God's favor to the pious generally, and to himself specially, is celebrated.
looked--with desire for help.
lightened--or, "brightened," expressing joy, opposed to the downcast features of those who are ashamed or disappointed ( Psalms 25:2 Psalms 25:3 ).
6. This poor man--literally, "humble," himself as a specimen of such.
7. angel--of the covenant ( Isaiah 63:9 ), of whom as a leader of God's host ( Joshua 5:14 , 1 Kings 22:19 ), the phrase--
encampeth, &c.--is appropriate; or, "angel" used collectively for angels ( Hebrews 1:14 ).
8. taste and see--try and experience.
12. What man--Whoever desires the blessings of piety, let him attend.
13, 14. Sins of thought included in those of speech ( Luke 6:45 ), avoiding evil and doing good in our relations to men are based on a right relation to God.
20. bones--framework of the body.
21, 22. Contrast in the destiny of righteous and wicked; the former shall be delivered and never come into condemnation ( John 5:24 , Romans 8:1 ); the latter are left under condemnation and desolate.