Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
|Overview - 1 Samuel 25|
| 1 ||Samuel dies. |
| 2 ||David in Paran sends to Nabal. |
|10 ||Provoked by Nabal's churlishness, he minds to destroy him. |
|14 ||Abigail understanding thereof, |
|18 ||takes a present; |
|23 ||and by her wisdom, |
|32 ||pacifies David. |
|36 ||Nabal hearing thereof, dies. |
|39 ||David takes Abigail and Ahinoam to be his wives. |
|44 ||Michal is given to Phalti. |
1 Samuel 25:18 (King James Version)
Then Abigail made haste, and took two hundred loaves, and two bottles of wine, and five sheep ready dressed, and five measures of parched corn, and an hundred clusters of raisins, and two hundred cakes of figs, and laid them on asses.
- made haste
- 34 ; Numbers 16:46-48 ; Proverbs 6:4 Proverbs 6:5 ; Matthew 5:25
- took two
- The Eastern bread is generally both thin and small; and answers to our cakes.
- Genesis 32:13-20 ; 43:11-14 2 Samuel 17:28 2 Samuel 17:29 ; Proverbs 18:16 ; 21:14
- two bottles
- That is, two goatskins' full.
- five sheep
- Not one sheep to one hundred men.
- Hebrew lumps. Raisins dried in the sun.
- 2 Samuel 16:1
- cakes of figs
- Figs cured and then pressed together. Now all this provision was a matter of little worth; and had it been granted in the first instance, it would have perfectly satisfied David, and secured his good offices.