stronghold, a Philistine city ( Joshua 15:47 ), about midway between Gaza and Joppa, and 3 miles from the Mediterranean. It was one of the chief seats of the worship of Dagon ( 1 Samuel 5:5 ). It belonged to the tribe of Judah ( Joshua 15:47 ), but it never came into their actual possession. It was an important city, as it stood on the highroad from Egypt to Palestine, and hence was strongly fortified ( 2 Chronicles 26:6 ; Isaiah 20:1 ). Uzziah took it, but fifty years after his death it was taken by the Assyrians (B.C. 758). According to Sargon's record, it was captured by him in B.C. 711. The only reference to it in the New Testament, where it is called Azotus, is in the account of Philip's return from Gaza ( Acts 8:40 ). It is now called Eshdud.
M.G. Easton M.A., D.D., Illustrated Bible Dictionary, Third Edition,
published by Thomas Nelson, 1897. Public Domain, copy freely.
[N] indicates this entry was also found in Nave's Topical Bible
[H] indicates this entry was also found in Hitchcock's Bible Names
Bibliography InformationEaston, Matthew George. "Entry for Ashdod". "Easton's Bible Dictionary".