Hanan [N] [E] [H]
- One of the chief people of the tribe of Benjamin. ( 1 Chronicles 8:23 )
- The last of the six sons of Azel, a descendant of Saul. ( 1 Chronicles 8:38 ; 9:44 ) (B.C. 588.)
- "Son of Maachah," i.e. possibly a Syrian of Aram-maachah, one of the heroes of Davids guard. ( 1 Chronicles 11:43 ) (B.C. 1046).
- The sons of Hanan were among the Nethinim who returned from Babylon with Zerubbabel. ( Ezra 2:46 ; Nehemiah 7:49 ) (B.C. 536).
- One of the Levites who assisted Ezra in his public exposition of the law. ( Nehemiah 8:7 ) (B.C. 446.) The same person is probably mentioned in ch. ( Nehemiah 10:10 )
- One of the "heads" of "the people," who also sealed the covenant. ( Nehemiah 10:22 ) (B.C. 410.)
- Another of the chief laymen on the same occasion. ( Nehemiah 10:26 )
- Son of Zaccur, son of Mattaniah, whom Nehemiah made one of the store. keepers of the provisions collected as tithes. ( Nehemiah 13:13 )
- Son of Igdaliah. ( Jeremiah 35:4 ) (B.C. 410.)
[N] indicates this entry was also found in Nave's Topical Bible
[E] indicates this entry was also found in Easton's Bible Dictionary
[H] indicates this entry was also found in Hitchcock's Bible Names
Bibliography InformationSmith, William, Dr. "Entry for 'Hanan'". "Smith's Bible Dictionary". . 1901.