Jether [N] [E] [H]
(his excellence ).
- Jethro, the father-in-law of Moses. ( Exodus 4:18 ) (B.C. 1530.)
- The first-born of Gideons seventy sons. ( Judges 8:20 ) (B.C. 1256.)
- The father of Amasa, captain-general of Absaloms army. (B.C. 1023.) Jether is another form of ITHRA. ( 2 Samuel 17:25 ) He is described in ( 1 Chronicles 2:17 ) as an Ishmaelite, which again is more likely to be correct than the "Israelite" of the Hebrew in ( 2 Samuel 17:1 ) ...
- The son of Jada, a descendant of Hezron, of the tribe of Judah. ( 1 Chronicles 2:32 )
- The son of Ezra. ( 1 Chronicles 2:32 )
- The chief of a family of warriors of the line of Asher, and father of Jephunneh. ( 1 Chronicles 7:38 ) He is probably the same as ITHRAN in the preceding verse.
[N] indicates this entry was also found in Nave's Topical Bible
[E] indicates this entry was also found in Easton's Bible Dictionary
[H] indicates this entry was also found in Hitchcock's Bible Names
Bibliography InformationSmith, William, Dr. "Entry for 'Jether'". "Smith's Bible Dictionary". . 1901.