Shephatiah [N] [E] [H]
(judged by Jehovah ).
- The fifth son of David. ( 2 Samuel 3:4 ; 1 Chronicles 3:3 ) (B.C. about 1050.)
- The family of Shephatiah, 372 in number, returned with Zerubbabel. ( Ezra 2:4 ; Nehemiah 7:9 ) see also Ezra 8:8 (B.C. 536.)
- The family of another Shephatiah, who came up with Zerubbabel. ( Ezra 2:4 )
- A descendant of Judah. ( Nehemiah 11:4 )
- One of the princes of Judah who counselled Zedekiah to put Jeremiah in the dungeon. ( Jeremiah 38:1 ) (B.C. 589.)
- One of the Benjamite warriors who joined David in his retreat at Ziklag. ( 1 Chronicles 12:5 ) (B.C. 1054.)
- Chief of the Simeonites in the reign of David. ( 1 Chronicles 37:16 )
- Son of Jehoshaphat. ( 2 Chronicles 21:2 ) (B.C. 887.)
[N] indicates this entry was also found in Nave's Topical Bible
[E] indicates this entry was also found in Easton's Bible Dictionary
[H] indicates this entry was also found in Hitchcock's Bible Names
Bibliography InformationSmith, William, Dr. "Entry for 'Shephatiah'". "Smith's Bible Dictionary". . 1901.