|Overview - Ecclesiastes 11|
|1||Directions for charity.|
|7||Death in life,|
|9||and the day ofjudgment in the days of youth, are to be thought on.|
Ecclesiastes 11:1 (King James Version)
Cast thy bread upon the waters: for thou shalt find it after many days.
- That is, says Bp. Lowth, "Sow thy seed or corn on the face of the waters;" in plain terms, sow without any hope of a harvest: do good even to them on whom your benefactions seem thrown away
- Dr. Jebb has well illustrated it by the following passages:
- "To befriend the wicked is like sowing in the sea." These, indeed, invert this precept; nor is it extraordinary that they should;
- thy bread
- Deuteronomy 15:7-11 ; Proverbs 11:24 Proverbs 11:25 ; 22:9 Isaiah 32:8
- Hebrew face of the waters.
- Isaiah 32:20
- 6 ; Deuteronomy 15:10 ; Psalms 41:1 Psalms 41:2 ; Psalms 126:5 Psalms 126:6 Proverbs 11:18 ; 19:17 Matthew 10:13 Matthew 10:42 ; 25:40
- Luke 14:14 ; 2 Corinthians 9:6 ; Galatians 6:8-10 ; Hebrews 6:10