|Overview - Jonah 1|
|1||Jonah, sent to Nineveh, flees to Tarshish.|
|4||He is bewrayed by a tempest;|
|11||thrown into the sea;|
|17||and swallowed by a fish.|
Jonah 1:3 (King James Version)
But Jonah rose up to flee unto Tarshish from the presence of the LORD, and went down to Joppa; and he found a ship going to Tarshish: so he paid the fare thereof, and went down into it, to go with them unto Tarshish from the presence of the LORD.
- to flee
- 4:2 Exodus 4:13 Exodus 4:14 ; 1 Kings 19:3 1 Kings 19:9 ; Jeremiah 20:7-9 ; Ezekiel 3:14 ; Luke 9:62 ; Acts 15:38
- 26:19 1 Corinthians 9:16
- Genesis 3:8 ; 4:16 Job 1:12 ; 2:7 Psalms 139:7-12 ; 2 Thessalonians 1:9
- Joshua 19:46 ; 2 Chronicles 2:16 ; Acts 9:36
- As Jonah embarked at Joppa, a seaport on the Mediterranean, it was probably either Tarsus in Cilicia, or rather Tartessus in Spain, to which he intended to flee. When we reflect how such a message would be received in the streets of London at this day, we shall not wonder at the prophet's reluctance to announce the destruction of the proud and idolatrous Nineveh.
- Isaiah 2:16 ; Isaiah 23:1 Isaiah 23:6 Isaiah 23:10 60:9 Ezekiel 27:12