Eliab [N] [E] [H]
(God is my father ).
- Son of Helon and leader of the tribe of Zebulun at the time of the census in the wilderness of Sinai. ( Numbers 1:9 ; 2:7 ; Numbers 7:24 Numbers 7:29 ; 10:16 ) (B.C. 1490.)
- A Reubenite, father of Dathan and Abiram. ( Numbers 16:1 Numbers 16:12 ; Numbers 26:8 Numbers 26:9 ; 11:6 )
- One of Davids brothers, the eldest of the family. ( 1 Samuel 16:6 ; 1 Samuel 17:13 1 Samuel 17:28 ; 1 Chronicles 2:13 ) (B.C. 1063.)
- A Levite in the time of David, who was both a "porter" and a musician on the "psaltery." ( 1 Chronicles 15:18 1 Chronicles 15:20 ; 16:5 )
- One of the warlike Gadite leaders who came over to David when he was in the wilderness taking refuge from Saul. ( 1 Chronicles 12:9 ) (B.C. 1061.)
- An ancestor of Samuel the prophet; a Kohathite Levite, son of Nahath. ( 1 Chronicles 6:27 ) (B.C. 1250).
- Son of Nathanael, one of the fore-fathers of Judith, and therefore belonging to the tribe of Simeon. Judith 8:1.
[N] indicates this entry was also found in Nave's Topical Bible
[E] indicates this entry was also found in Easton's Bible Dictionary
[H] indicates this entry was also found in Hitchcock's Bible Names
Bibliography InformationSmith, William, Dr. "Entry for 'Eliab'". "Smith's Bible Dictionary". . 1901.