Various kinds of hooks are noticed in the Bible, of which the following are the most important:
- Fishing hooks. ( Job 41:2 ; Isaiah 19:8 ); Habb 1:15
- A ring, such as in our country is placed through the nose of a bull, and similarly used in the East for leading about lions -- ( Ezekiel 19:4 ) where the Authorized Version has "with chains --camels and other animals. Called "thorn" in ( Job 41:2 ) A similar method was adopted for leading prisoners. ( 2 Chronicles 33:11 )
- The hooks of the pillars of the tabernacle. ( Exodus 26:32 Exodus 26:37 ; 27:10 ) ff.; Exod 38:13 ff.
- A vinedressers pruning-hook. ( Isaiah 2:4 ; 18:5 ; Micah 4:3 ; Joel 3:10 )
- A flesh-hook for getting up the joints of meat out of the boiling-pot. ( Exodus 27:3 ; 1 Samuel 2:13 1 Samuel 2:14 )
- Probably "hooks" used for the purpose of hanging up animals to flay them. ( Ezekiel 40:43 )
Bibliography InformationSmith, William, Dr. "Entry for 'Hook, Hooks'". "Smith's Bible Dictionary". . 1901.