Jehiel [N] [E]
(God lives ).
- One of the Levites appointed by David to assist in the service of the house of God. ( 1 Chronicles 15:18 1 Chronicles 15:20 ; 16:5 )
- One of the sons of Jehoshaphat king of Judah, put to death by his brother Jehoram. ( 2 Chronicles 21:2 2 Chronicles 21:4 ) (B.C. 887.)
- One of the rulers of the house of God at the time of the reforms of Josiah. ( 2 Chronicles 35:8 ) (B.C. 623.)
- A Gershonite Levite, ( 1 Chronicles 23:8 ) who had charge of the treasures. ch. ( 1 Chronicles 28:8 )
- A son of Hachmoni named in the list of Davids officers, ( 1 Chronicles 27:32 ) as "with the kings sons," whatever that may mean.
- A Levite who took part in the restorations of King Hezekiah. ( 2 Chronicles 29:14 ) (B.C. 726.)
- Another Levite at the same period. ( 2 Chronicles 31:13 )
- Father of Obadiah, of the Bene-Joab. ( Ezra 8:9 ) (B.C. before 459.)
- One of the Bene-Elam, father of Shechaniah. ( Ezra 10:2 )
- A member of the same family, who himself had to part with his wife. ( Ezra 10:26 )
- A priest, one of the Bene-Harim, who also had to put away his foreign wife. ( Ezra 10:21 ) (B.C. 459.)
[N] indicates this entry was also found in Nave's Topical Bible
[E] indicates this entry was also found in Easton's Bible Dictionary
Bibliography InformationSmith, William, Dr. "Entry for 'Jehiel'". "Smith's Bible Dictionary". . 1901.