40 (For the one directing. Mizmor of Dovid). Deliver me, Hashem, from adam rah; preserve me from ish chamasim (violent men);
(3) Which plan ra’ot (evils) in their lev; kol yom they incite milchamot (wars).
(4) They have sharpened their leshonot like a nachash; the venom of a spider is under their sfatayim (lips). Selah.
(5) Be shomer over me, Hashem, and keep me from the hands of the rashah; protect me from ish chamasim, whose scheme is to cause my steps to trip.
(6) The ge’im (proud, arrogant ones [of inordinate ambition]) have hid a pach for me, and chavalim (cords, ropes); they have spread a reshet (net) close by the path; they have set mokshim (traps) for me. Selah.
(7) I said unto Hashem, Thou art Eli; hear the kol tachanunai (voice of my supplications), Hashem.
(8) Hashem Adonoi, Oz Yeshuati (strength of my (salvation), Thou hast covered my rosh in the Yom Neshek (Day of Arms, Day of Battle).
(9) Grant not, Hashem, the desires of the rashah; let not his plot succeed; lest they exalt themselves. Selah.
(11) Let burning coals fall upon them; let them be cast into the eish; into mahamorot (watery pits), that they rise not up again.
(12) Let not an ish lashon (idle talker, slanderer) be established in ha’aretz; rah shall hunt down the ish chamas to overthrow him.
(13) I know that Hashem will maintain the din oni (cause of the poor), and the mishpat evyonim (the right of the needy).
(14) Surely the tzaddikim shall give thanks unto Thy Shem; the upright shall dwell in Thy presence.