In Melbourne, Florida, firefighters got so consumed with an emergency they forgot to turn off a fryer in their kitchen and started a fire in their own station. A firefighter from a neighboring department saw smoke coming from the firehouse and called 911. The firefighters from Station 72 then returned to fight the fire at their own station. There is a lesson in this for church workers. While trying to minister to others we need to make sure we keep our own house in order.

J. Michael Shannon is professor of preaching at Cincinnati Bible College in Cincinnati, OH.