Aroer [N] [H] [S]
ruins. A town on the north bank of the Arnon ( Deuteronomy 4:48 ; Judges 11:26 ; 2 Kings 10:33 ), the southern boundary of the kingdom of Sihon ( Joshua 12:2 ). It is now called Arair, 13 miles west of the Dead Sea.
One of the towns built by the tribe of Gad ( Numbers 32:34 ) "before Rabbah" ( Joshua 13:25 ), the Ammonite capital. It was famous in the history of Jephthah ( Judges 11:33 ) and of David ( 2 Samuel 24:5 ). (Compare Isaiah 17:2 ; 2 Kings 15:29 .)
A city in the south of Judah, 12 miles south-east of Beersheba, to which David sent presents after recovering the spoil from the Amalekites at Ziklag ( 1 Samuel 30:26 1 Samuel 30:28 ). It was the native city of two of David's warriors ( 1 Chronicles 11:44 ). It is now called Ar'arah.
These dictionary topics are from
M.G. Easton M.A., D.D., Illustrated Bible Dictionary, Third Edition,
published by Thomas Nelson, 1897. Public Domain, copy freely.
[N] indicates this entry was also found in Nave's Topical Bible
[H] indicates this entry was also found in Hitchcock's Bible Names
[S] indicates this entry was also found in Smith's Bible Dictionary
Bibliography InformationEaston, Matthew George. "Entry for Aroer". "Easton's Bible Dictionary". .