one of the two portions into which the tabernacle was divided ( Exodus 26:31 ; 37:17-25 ; Hebrews 9:2 ). It was 20 cubits long and 10 in height and breadth. It was illuminated by the golden candlestick, as it had no opening to admit the light. It contained the table of showbread ( Exodus 25:23-29 ) and the golden altar of incense ( 30:1-11 ). It was divided from the holy of holies by a veil of the most costly materials and the brightest colours.
The arrangement of the temple (q.v.) was the same in this respect. In it the walls of hewn stone were wainscotted with cedar and overlaid with gold, and adorned with beautiful carvings. It was entered from the porch by folding doors overlaid with gold and richly embossed. Outside the holy place stood the great tank or "sea" of molten brass, supported by twelve oxen, three turned each way, capable of containing two thousand baths of water. Besides this there were ten lavers and the brazen altar of burnt sacrifice.
M.G. Easton M.A., D.D., Illustrated Bible Dictionary, Third Edition,
published by Thomas Nelson, 1897. Public Domain, copy freely.
[N] indicates this entry was also found in Nave's Topical Bible
[B] indicates this entry was also found in Baker's Evangelical Dictionary
Bibliography InformationEaston, Matthew George. "Entry for Holy place". "Easton's Bible Dictionary".