Amariah [N] [E] [H]
(the Lord says , i.e. promises ).
- Father of Ahitub according to ( 1 Chronicles 6:7 1 Chronicles 6:52 ) and son of Meraioth, in the line of the high priests.
- The high priest in the reign of Jehoshaphat. ( 2 Chronicles 19:11 ) He was the son of Azariah.
- The head of a Levitical house of the Kohathites. ( 1 Chronicles 23:13 ; 24:23 )
- The head of one of the twenty-four courses of priest. ( 2 Chronicles 31:15 ; Nehemiah 10:3 ; Nehemiah 12:2 Nehemiah 12:13 )
- One of the sons of Bani in the time of Ezra. ( Ezra 10:42 )
- A priest who returned with Zerubbabel. ( Nehemiah 10:3 ; Nehemiah 12:2 Nehemiah 12:13 )
- A descendant of Pharez. ( Nehemiah 11:4 )
- An ancestor of Zephaniah the prophet. ( Zephaniah 1:1 )
[N] indicates this entry was also found in Nave's Topical Bible
[E] indicates this entry was also found in Easton's Bible Dictionary
[H] indicates this entry was also found in Hitchcock's Bible Names
Bibliography InformationSmith, William, Dr. "Entry for 'Amariah'". "Smith's Bible Dictionary". . 1901.