Shammah [N] [E] [H]
- The son of Reuel the son of Esau. ( Genesis 36:13 Genesis 36:17 ; 1 Chronicles 1:37 ) (B.C. about 1700.)
- The third son of Jesse, and brother of David. ( 1 Samuel 16:9 ; 17:13 ) Called also Shimea., Shimeah and Shimma.
- One of the three greatest of Davids mighty men. ( 2 Samuel 23:11-17 ) (B.C. 1061.)
- The Harodite, one of Davids mighties. ( 2 Samuel 23:25 ) He is called "SHAMMOTH the Harorite" in ( 1 Chronicles 11:27 ) and "SHAMHUTH the Izrahite" ibid. ( 1 Chronicles 27:8 )
- In the list of Davids mighty men in ( 2 Samuel 23:32 2 Samuel 23:33 ) we find "Jonathan, Shammah the Hararite;" while in the corresponding verse of ( 1 Chronicles 11:34 ) it is Jonathan.
[N] indicates this entry was also found in Nave's Topical Bible
[E] indicates this entry was also found in Easton's Bible Dictionary
[H] indicates this entry was also found in Hitchcock's Bible Names
Bibliography InformationSmith, William, Dr. "Entry for 'Shammah'". "Smith's Bible Dictionary". . 1901.