17. Costly luxuries impoverish.
18. (Compare Proverbs 11:8 ). By suffering what they had devised for the righteous, or brought on them, the wicked became their ransom, in the usual sense of substitutes (compare Joshua 7:26 , Esther 7:9 ).
20. The wise, by diligence and care, lay up and increase wealth, while fools
spend--literally, "swallow it up," greedily.
21. He who tries to act justly and kindly ( Psalms 34:14 ) will prosper and obtain justice and honor.
24. The reproachful name is deserved by those who treat others with anger and contempt.
25. desire--that is of ease and idleness brings him to starvation.
26. The sin of covetousness marks the sluggard, as the virtue of benevolence the righteous.
27. God regards the heart, and hypocrisy is more odious than open inconsistency.
wicked mind--or, "design" ( Proverbs 1:4 ).
29. hardeneth his face--is obstinate.
directeth . . . way--considers it, and acts advisedly.