SUMMARY.--Persecution Predicted. The Comforter to Come. He Will Reprove the World of Sin; of Righteousness; of Judgment. Will Guide into All Truth. Sorrow and Rejoicing. Overcoming the World.
11. Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged. In chapter 14:30 , he declared, "The prince of this world cometh." It was the prince of this world, the spirit of the world, Satan, as the ruler of the world, who slew him. When Christ rose from the dead, and all power was given into his hands, this was a judgment in the court of the universe against the prince of the world.
13. When he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth. He is about to go away and his own personal teachings will be ended, but those things that he desires them to know will be taught them still. The Spirit of truth will guide them into all truth.
14, 15. He shall glorify me. "All things that the Father hath are mine," and the Spirit "shall receive of mine and shew it to you." "These three are one;" a striking illustration of the unity of the Godhead. They are so united that what proceeds from one proceeds from all.
16, 17. A little while, and ye shall not see me: and again, a little while, and ye shall see me. On the morrow he would die, be buried, and for "a little while" they would not see him; then he would rise, and for another "little while," a space of forty days before "he went to his Father," they would see him while he remained on the earth. When he ascended to his Father, they, in a spiritual sense, would "see him coming in the kingdom of God."
20. Ye shall weep and lament, but the world shall rejoice. How sad were the broken-hearted disciples, as they wept at the tomb! At the same time their enemies were gloating over their triumph. Soon all was changed, for your sorrow shall be turned into joy. The glad news came, "The Lord is risen!" Then they heard that "all power was his," saw him ascend into heaven, and "returned to Jerusalem with great joy."
22. Ye now therefore have sorrow. Are in travail, but soon there shall be a birth, "the First Born of the new creation" from the tomb.
23, 24. In that day. After the Kingdom comes on Pentecost. Ask the Father in my name. We must come to God through him. His is "the only name." Before, when they prayed, he told them to say, "Our Father," etc. Now they must pray in the name of the ascended Lord.
25. Spoken in proverbs. In figures.
31, 32. Do ye now believe? The disciples had just asserted that they did, because they thought they understood him, but before morning their faith would give way and, instead of clinging to him in the hour of trial, they would leave him alone.
33. I have overcome the world. In this world his disciples would be persecuted and have sorrow, but he bids them Be of good cheer. The world can only afflict for a season; it is a conquered world; Christ has overcome it.