Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
2 Kings 1:16 (King James Version)
And he said unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Forasmuch as thou hast sent messengers to enquire of Baalzebub the god of Ekron, is it not because there is no God in Israel to enquire of his word? therefore thou shalt not come down off that bed on which thou art gone up, but shalt surely die.
- 2 Kings 1:3 2 Kings 1:4 2 Kings 1:6 ; Exodus 4:22 Exodus 4:23 ; 1 Kings 14:6-13 ; 21:18-24 22:28
- Literally, "the lord of flies;" or, as the LXX. render, [Baal mwean theon,] Baal the fly god
- See note on Exodus 8:24 .
- on which thou are gone up
- In the East there is usually at the end of each chamber a little gallery, raised three or four feet above the floor, with a balustrade in front, to which they go up by a few steps: here they place their beds; an allusion to which situation is involved in this declaration of Elijah's, and frequently referred to in the Sacred Scriptures: see Genesis 49:4 .
- 5:21 Psalms 132:3