|Overview - 2 Samuel 15|
|1||Absalom, by fair speeches and courtesies, steals the hearts of Israel.|
|7||Under pretence of a vow, he obtains leave to go to Hebron.|
|10||He makes there a great conspiracy.|
|13||David upon the news flees from Jerusalem.|
|19||Ittai will not leave him.|
|24||Zadok and Abiathar are sent back with the ark.|
|30||David and his company go up mount Olivet weeping.|
|31||He curses Ahithophel's counsel.|
|32||Hushai is sent back with instructions.|
2 Samuel 15:30 (King James Version)
And David went up by the ascent of mount Olivet, and wept as he went up, and had his head covered, and he went barefoot: and all the people that was with him covered every man his head, and they went up, weeping as they went up.
- the ascent
- Zechariah 14:4 ; Luke 19:29 Luke 19:37 ; 21:37 22:39 Acts 1:12
- mount Olivet
- Mount Olivet, so called from its abounding with olive trees, is situated east of Jerusalem, being separated from it only by the valley of Jehoshaphat and the brook Kidron. Josephus says it is five stadia, i
- e., 625 ; geometrical paces from Jerusalem; and St. Luke ( Acts 1:12 )says it is a Sabbath day's journey, or about eight stadia distant, i
- e., to the summit. It forms part of a ridge of limestone hills, extending from north to south for about a mile; and it is described as having three, or, according to others, four summits; the central and highest of which overlooks the whole of the city, over whose streets and walls the eye roves as if in the survey of a model.
- and wept as he went up
- Hebrew going up and weeping.
- Psalms 42:3-11 ; Psalms 43:1 Psalms 43:2 Psalms 43:5 Luke 19:41
- his head covered
- This custom was only practised by persons in great distress, or when convicted of great crimes. Thus Darius, when informed by Tyriotes, the eunuch, that his queen was dead, and that she had suffered no violence from Alexander, covered his head, and wept a long time; then throwing off the garment that covered him, he thanked the gods for Alexander's moderation and justice.
- 19:4 Esther 6:12 ; Jeremiah 14:3 Jeremiah 14:4
- Isaiah 20:2 Isaiah 20:4 ; Ezekiel 24:17 Ezekiel 24:23
- Psalms 126:5 Psalms 126:6 ; Matthew 5:4 ; Romans 12:15 ; 1 Corinthians 12:26