|Overview - John 9|
|1||The man that was born blind restored to sight.|
|8||He is brought to the Pharisees.|
|13||They are offended at it, and excommunicate him;|
|35||but he is received of Jesus, and confesses him.|
|39||Who they are whom Christ enlightens.|
John 9:5 (King James Version)
As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.
- 1:4-9 3:19-21 8:12 John 12:35 John 12:36 John 12:46 Isaiah 42:6 Isaiah 42:7 ; 49:6 60:1-3 Malachi 4:2
- Matthew 4:16 ; Luke 2:32 ; Acts 13:47 ; Acts 26:18 Acts 26:23 Ephesians 5:14 ; Revelation 21:23
- I am
- Our Lord here claims one of the titles given by the Jews to the Divine Being
- So in Bammidbar Rabba, 15, fol. 229.1, "The Israelites said to God, O Lord of the universe, thou
- commandest us to light lamps to thee, yet thou art the light of the world." It was also a title of the Messiah (see Isaiah 49:6 ; 60:1 ;) and in a remarkable passage of Yalkut Rubeni,
- fol. 6, ; it is said on Genesis 1:4 ,"From this we learn that the holy and blessed God saw the light of the Messiah, and his works, before the world was created; and reserved it for the Messiah, and his generation, under the throne of his glory. Satan said to the holy and blessed God, For whom dost thou reserve that light which is under the throne of thy glory? God answered, For him who shall subdue thee, and overwhelm thee with confusion. Satan rejoined, Lord of the universe, shew that person to me God said, Come, and see him. When he saw him, he was greatly agitated, and fell upon his face, saying, Truly this is the Messiah, who shall cast me and idolaters into hell."