|Overview - Matthew 23|
|1||Christ admonishes the people to follow the good doctrine, not the evil examples, of the Scribes and Pharisees.|
|5||His disciples must beware of their ambition.|
|13||He denounces eight woes against their hypocrisy and blindness,|
|34||and prophesies of the destruction of Jerusalem.|
Matthew 23:14 (King James Version)
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation.
- for ye
- Josephus says that this sect pretended to a more exact knowledge of the law, on which account the women were subject to them, as pretending to be dear to God.
- Exodus 22:22-24 ; Job 22:9 ; 31:16-20 Mark 12:40 ; Luke 20:47 ; 2 Timothy 3:6
- Titus 1:10 Titus 1:11 ; 2 Peter 2:14 2 Peter 2:15
- That these were long we learn from Bab. Berachoth, where we are told that the very religious prayed nine hours a day.
- 33-36 ; 11:24 Luke 12:48 ; James 3:1 ; 2 Peter 2:3