|Overview - Numbers 2|
|1||The order of the tribes in their tents.|
Numbers 2:2 (King James Version)
Every man of the children of Israel shall pitch by his own standard, with the ensign of their father's house: far off about the tabernacle of the congregation shall they pitch.
- Every man
- The Israelites, it appears, encamped in four grand divisions, with the tabernacle in the centre; though at some distance from it. The form of the camp was quadrangular, containing, according to Scheuchzer, a little more than twelve square miles. Under each of the four divisions, three tribes were placed, under one general standard. Between these four great camps and the tabernacle, were pitched four smaller camps of the priests and Levites, who were in immediate attendance upon it; the camp of Moses, and of Aaron and his sons, being on the east side of the tabernacle, where the entrance was. Judah was placed on the east, and under him he had Issachar and Zebulun; on the south was Reuben, and under him Simeon and Gad; on the west was Ephraim, and under him Manasseh and Benjamin; and Dan was on the north, and under him Asher and Naphtali. Every tribe had its particular standard, probably with the name of the tribe embroidered with large letters. It seems highly improbable that the figures of animals should have been painted on them, as the Jewish writers assert; for even in after ages, when Vitellius wished to march through Judea, their great men besought him to march another way, as the law of the land did not permit images (such as were on the Roman standard) to be brought into it
- Josephus Ant. 1. xviii
- c. 7.
- shall pitch
- Numbers 2:3 Numbers 2:10 ; 1:52 Numbers 10:14 Numbers 10:18 Numbers 10:22 Numbers 10:25
- the ensign
- Isaiah 11:10-12 ; 18:3 Zechariah 9:16
- far off
- Hebrew over against.
- Joshua 3:4
- about the
- Numbers 1:50 Numbers 1:53 Psalms 76:11 ; Isaiah 12:6 ; Ezekiel 43:7 ; 1 Corinthians 14:33 1 Corinthians 14:40 ; Philippians 1:27
- Colossians 2:19 ; Revelation 4:2-5