the great laver made by Solomon for the use of the priests in the temple, described in 1 Kings 7:23-26 ; 2 Chr 4:2-5 . It stood in the south-eastern corner of the inner court. It was 5 cubits high, 10 in diameter from brim to brim, and 30 in circumference. It was placed on the backs of twelve oxen, standing with their faces outward. It was capable of containing two or three thousand baths of water (Compare 2 Chronicles 4:5 ), which was originally supplied by the Gibeonites, but was afterwards brought by a conduit from the pools of Bethlehem. It was made of "brass" (copper), which Solomon had taken from the captured cities of Hadarezer, the king of Zobah ( 1 Chronicles 18:8 ). Ahaz afterwards removed this laver from the oxen, and placed it on a stone pavement ( 2 Kings 16:17 ). It was destroyed by the Chaldeans ( 25:13 ).
M.G. Easton M.A., D.D., Illustrated Bible Dictionary, Third Edition,
published by Thomas Nelson, 1897. Public Domain, copy freely.
Bibliography InformationEaston, Matthew George. "Entry for Sea, The molten". "Easton's Bible Dictionary".