Zabad [N] [E] [H]
- Son of Nathan son of Attai, son of Ahlai Sheshans daughter, ( 1 Chronicles 2:31-37 ) and hence called son of Ahlai. ( 1 Chronicles 11:41 ) (B.C. 1046.) He was one of Davids mighty men but none of his deeds have been recorded. The chief interest connected with him is in his genealogy, which is of considerable importance in a chronological point of view.
- An Ephraimite, if the text of ( 1 Chronicles 7:21 ) Isa correct.
- Son of Shimeath, an Ammonitess; an assassin who, with Jehozabad, slew King Joash, according to ( 2 Chronicles 24:26 ) (B.C. 840); but in ( 2 Kings 12:21 ) his name is written, probably more correctly, JOZACHAR.
- A layman of Israel, of the sons of Zattu, who put away his foreign wife at Ezras command. ( Ezra 10:27 ) (B.C. 458.)
- One of the descendants of Hashum who had married a foreign wife after the captivity. ( Ezra 10:33 ) (B.C. 458.)
- One of the sons of Nebo whose name is mentioned under the same circumstances as the two preceding. ( Ezra 10:43 )
[N] indicates this entry was also found in Nave's Topical Bible
[E] indicates this entry was also found in Easton's Bible Dictionary
[H] indicates this entry was also found in Hitchcock's Bible Names
Bibliography InformationSmith, William, Dr. "Entry for 'Zabad'". "Smith's Bible Dictionary". . 1901.