Trinity Church in New York City dates to 1697 when the church received a charter from King William III. It stipulated a nominal yearly rent of one peppercorn, which never was paid until 1976. The queen made a royal visit to New York that year, and the church presented her with a Steuben glass container with 279 peppercorns in it—rent for 279 years.