13. Hasty speech evinces self-conceit, and ensures shame ( Proverbs 26:12 ).
14. infirmity--bodily sickness, or outward evil. The spirit, which sustains, being wounded, no support is left, except, as implied, in God.
18. The lot--whose disposal is of God ( Proverbs 16:13 ), may, properly used, be a right mode of settling disputes.
19. No feuds so difficult of adjustment as those of relatives; hence great care should be used to avoid them.
23. the rich . . . roughly--He is tolerated because rich, implying that the estimate of men by wealth is wrong.
24. A man . . . friendly--better, "A man . . . (is) to, or, may triumph ( Psalms 108:9 ), or, shout for joy ( Psalms 5:11 ), that is, may congratulate himself." Indeed, there is a Friend who is better than a brother; such is the "Friend of sinners" [ Matthew 11:19 , Luke 7:34 ], who may have been before the writer's mind.