|Overview - 1 Samuel 6|
|1||After seven months the Philistines take counsel how to send back the ark.|
|10||They bring it on a new cart with an offering unto Beth-shemesh.|
|19||The people are smitten for looking into the ark.|
|21||They send to them of Kirjath-jearim to fetch it.|
1 Samuel 6:5 (King James Version)
Wherefore ye shall make images of your emerods, and images of your mice that mar the land; and ye shall give glory unto the God of Israel: peradventure he will lighten his hand from off you, and from off your gods, and from off your land.
- Bochart has collected many curious accounts relative to the terrible devastations made by these mischievous animals. William, Archbishop of Tyre, records, that in the beginning of the twelfth century, a penitential council was held at Naplouse, where five and twenty canons were framed for the correction of the manners of the inhabitants of the Christian kingdom of Jerusalem, who they apprehended had provoked to bring upon them the calamities of earthquakes, war, and famine. This last he ascribes to locusts and devouring mice, which had for four years together so destroyed the fruits of the earth as to cause an almost total failure of their crops. It was customary for the ancient heathen to offer to their gods such monuments of their deliverance as represented the evils from which they had been rescued; and Tavernier informs us, that among the Indians, when a pilgrim goes to one of the pagodas for a cure, he brings the figure of the member affected, made of gold, silver, or copper, according to his circumstances, which he offers to his god.
- Exodus 8:5 Exodus 8:17 Exodus 8:24 ; Exodus 10:14 Exodus 10:15 Joel 1:4-7 ; 2:25
- give glory
- Joshua 7:19 ; Psalms 18:44 ; 66:3 *marg:
- Isaiah 42:12 ; Jeremiah 3:13 ; 13:16 Malachi 2:2 ; John 9:24 ; Revelation 11:13 ; 16:9
- 1 Samuel 5:6 1 Samuel 5:11 Psalms 32:4 ; 39:10
- off your
- 1 Samuel 5:3 1 Samuel 5:4 1 Samuel 5:7 Exodus 12:12 ; Numbers 33:4 ; Isaiah 19:1