firm-rooted, the most northerly of the five towns belonging to the lords of the Philistines, about 11 miles north of Gath. It was assigned to Judah ( Joshua 13:3 ), and afterwards to ( Daniel 19:43 ), but came again into the full possession of the Philistines ( 1 Samuel 5:10 ). It was the last place to which the Philistines carried the ark before they sent it back to Israel ( 1 Samuel 5:10 ; 6:1-8 ). There was here a noted sanctuary of Baal-zebub ( 2 Kings 1: : 23616 ,3,6,16). Now the small village Akir. It is mentioned on monuments in B.C. 702, when Sennacherib set free its king, imprisoned by Hezekiah in Jerusalem, according to the Assyrian record.
M.G. Easton M.A., D.D., Illustrated Bible Dictionary, Third Edition,
published by Thomas Nelson, 1897. Public Domain, copy freely.
[N] indicates this entry was also found in Nave's Topical Bible
[H] indicates this entry was also found in Hitchcock's Bible Names
[S] indicates this entry was also found in Smith's Bible Dictionary
Bibliography InformationEaston, Matthew George. "Entry for Ekron". "Easton's Bible Dictionary".