8:8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
The New Covenant, Summary:
(4) The New Covenant secures the personal revelation of the Lord to every believer Hebrews 8:11 .
The New Covenant is the eighth, thus speaking of resurrection and of eternal completeness.
I. The Eight Covenants, Summary:
(1) The Edenic Covenant (See Scofield "Genesis 1:26") conditioned the life of man in innocency.
(2) The Adamic Covenant (See Scofield "Genesis 3:14") conditions the life of fallen man and gives promise of a Redeemer.
(3) The Noahic Covenant (See Scofield "Genesis 9:1") . establishes the principle of human government.
(4) The Abrahamic Covenant (See Scofield "Genesis 15:18") founds the nation of Israel, and confirms, with specific additions, the Adamic promise of redemption.
(5) The Mosaic Covenant (See Scofield "Exodus 19:25") . condemns all men, "for that all have sinned."
(6) The Palestinian Covenant (See Scofield "Deuteronomy 30:3") secures the final restoration and conversion of Israel.
(7) The Davidic Covenant (See Scofield "2 Samuel 7:16") establishes the perpetuity of the Davidic family (fulfilled in Christ), Matthew 1:1 ; Luke 1:31-33, ; Romans 1:3 and of the Davidic kingdom, over Israel, and over the whole earth; to be fulfilled in and by Christ ; 2 Samuel 7:8-17 ; Zechariah 12:8 ; Luke 1:31-33 ; Acts 15:14-17 ; 1 Corinthians 15:24 .
(8) The New covenant rests upon the sacrifice of Christ, and secures the eternal blessedness, under the Abrahamic Covenant Galatians 3:13-29 of all who believe. It is absolutely unconditional, and, since no responsibility is by it committed to man, it is final and irreversible.
II. The relation of Christ to the eight covenants is as follows:
(5) He lived sinlessly under the Mosaic covenant and bore for us its curse. Galatians 3:10-13 .
(6) He lived obediently as a Jew in the land under the Palestinian Covenant, and will yet perform it gracious promises Deuteronomy 28:1-30:9 .
8:11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
Jehovah. Jeremiah 31:33 .
8:12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.
Jehovah. Jeremiah 31:34 .
Sin. (See Scofield "Romans 3:23") .