Treasury of Scripture Knowledge
|Overview - 2 Kings 21|
| 1 ||Manasseh's reign. |
| 3 ||His great idolatry. |
|10 ||His wickedness causes prophecies against Judah. |
|17 ||Amon succeeds him. |
|19 ||Amon's wicked reign. |
|23 ||He being slain by his servants, and those murderers slain by the people, Josiah is made king. |
2 Kings 21:13 (King James Version)
And I will stretch over Jerusalem the line of Samaria, and the plummet of the house of Ahab: and I will wipe Jerusalem as a man wipeth a dish, wiping it, and turning it upside down.
- I will stretch
- This metaphor is taken from the custom of using a line in measuring land, and in dividing portions of it among several persons. Samaria was taken, pillaged, and ruined, and its inhabitants carried into captivity: Jerusalem shall have the same measure.
- 17:6 Isaiah 10:22 ; 28:17 34:11 Lamentations 2:8 ; Ezekiel 23:31-34 ; Amos 7:7 Amos 7:8
- Zechariah 1:16
- the plummet
- 10:11 1 Kings 21:21-24
- I will wipe
- I will empty Jerusalem of all its wealth and inhabitants, as truly as a dish turned up and wiped is emptied of its contents.
- 1 Kings 14:10 ; Isaiah 14:23 ; Jeremiah 25:9 ; Ezekiel 24:10 Ezekiel 24:11 ; Revelation 18:21-23
- wiping it, and turning it upside down
- Hebrew he wipeth and
- turneth it upon the face thereof.