Mattaniah [N] [E] [H]
(gift of Jehovah ).
- The original name of Zedekiah king of Judah, which was changed when Nebuchadnezzar placed him on the throne. ( 2 Kings 24:17 )
- A Levite singer of the sons of Asaph. ( 1 Chronicles 9:15 ) He was leader of the temple choir after its restoration, ( Nehemiah 11:17 ; 12:8 ) in the time of Nehemiah, and took part in the musical service which accompanied the dedication of the wall of Jerusalem. ( Nehemiah 12:25 Nehemiah 12:35 )
- A descendant of Asaph, and ancestor of Jahaziel the Levite, in the reign of Jehoshaphat. ( 2 Chronicles 20:14 )
- One of the sons of Elam. ( Ezra 10:26 )
- One of the sons of Zattu. ( Ezra 10:27 )
- A descendant of Pahath-moab, ( Ezra 10:30 ) and
- One of the sons of Bani. ( Ezra 10:37 ) who all put away their foreign wives at Ezras command.
- A Levite, father of Zaccur and ancestor of Hanan the under-treasurer who had charge of the offerings for the Levites in the time of Nehemiah. ( Nehemiah 13:13 )
- One of the fourteen sons of Heman, whose office it was to blow the horns in the temple service appointed by David. ( 1 Chronicles 25:4 1 Chronicles 25:16 )
- A descendant of Asaph the Levite minstrel, who assisted in the purification of the temple in the reign of Hezekiah. ( 2 Chronicles 29:13 )
[N] indicates this entry was also found in Nave's Topical Bible
[E] indicates this entry was also found in Easton's Bible Dictionary
[H] indicates this entry was also found in Hitchcock's Bible Names
Bibliography InformationSmith, William, Dr. "Entry for 'Mattaniah'". "Smith's Bible Dictionary". . 1901.