Three Ways to Seek God with Your Whole Heart
I have been filling my time with new and different activities. And, amid that increase in busyness, there is often less time for reflection upon my relationship with the Lord. But that said, I still want to be fulfilling the verse: “You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart” (Jeremiah 29:13).
- Fellowship with Him at the table of grace
- Binding yourself to Him with renewed commitment
- Laying yourself down as a living sacrifice to Him, holy and pleasing to God
- Open your heart to mourn sins that you are just now noticing
If the Lord is moving your spirit in certain ways, here is where you can write those particular movements of your heart.
One of my favorite ways to think about my relationship with the Lord is to anticipate joys together.
First meditate upon the joy that relationship with God brings into your life. I think of Psalm 16:11, “You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.” God wants you to know that a fruit of His Spirit within you is joy in Him. So, how can you taste of that joy? How can you anticipate more of that joy in Jesus? Take some time to ask Him.
Second, make a list of the ways you long to experience more of the joy of the Lord in your heart.
Here are some ideas of joys to anticipate as you seek the Lord:
- More fully understanding what it means to be the Bride of Christ, in close relationship with Him
- Increased fruits of the Spirit apparent in your life
- Seeing answers to prayer for a heart that is devoted to the Lord
- Enjoying His felt presence during times of prayer
- Feeling the illumination of the Scriptures to your heart — God speaking straight into your life from the inspired Word of God
- Letting go of the world to have more of Christ
- Resting with Jesus on Sundays
- Learning to love righteousness and hate wickedness like Jesus does
- Turning your eyes to the heavens and heavenly realities
- Being filled with hope that you belong to another eternal land
If you are longing to experience the joys of the Lord in a particular way, here is where you can record those desires of your heart.
Jesus is highly pleased when we seek Him by faith. He wants to be bound up closely with us. He wants our days, our hearts, our inward movements, our activities, our longings, and our thoughts to be more and more closely reflecting a Spirit-led life. The Holy Spirit brings to mind truths as we seek God, and the Holy Spirit illumines the truth to our hearts as we read the Word. So, having faith and being led by the Spirit, we can lay out the foundations of our walks with Jesus and see where we are going and all that we are anticipating with Him.
Enjoy your relationship with the Lord. It is such a gift that the God of the universe would interact with our spirits and lead our spirits — is it not? I don’t want to lose sight of how precious it is that we can fellowship with God; I want to draw near to Him all the more.
As I consider these ways of seeking the Lord and keeping Him at the forefront, there is such joy in defining and considering the contours of our relationship. I imagine looking back at these goals and pursuits together and rejoicing at how far we’ve come. Use these questions and ideas to refresh your relationship with the Lord, remembering that He is leading you all the way.
More from this author
Yes, God Will Be Glorified
6 Truths about Jesus’ Coming into the World
Jesus Longs for and Desires His People
Photo credit: ©Getty Images/zamrznutitonovi
Lianna Davis is author of Keeping the Faith: A Study in Jude and Made for a Different Land: Eternal Hope for Baby Loss. She and her husband, Tyler, live outside of Dallas, Texas and have two dear daughters.